Headsets on freestyle scooters are no different to those on BMX bikes. Those scooters take a 1 1/8" sized headset. A threaded headset is used for a threaded fork only. Their main use is for those usually running the stock forks. Threadless headsets are used with a compression system on threadless forks such as SCS (Standard compression system), HIC (Hidden internal compression system, which requires oversized bars) or ICS (Inverted compression system). The compression used on threaded forks is a locknut, that can be taken off a stock fork. Threadless headsets are used to accommodate threadless forks, which were created because threads compromise the strength of the fork tube.
- Standard Compression System (SCS)
- - scs clamp, compression bolt, starnut, headset cap, shim (use with thin bar)
- Main manufacturers: RAD, Madd Gear
- Thread Lock Compression (TLC)
- Integrated Headset Compression (IHC)
Borrowed with thanks from Wikipedia